Academic Counseling and Educational Support
Master your college transition
What does ACES offer me?
Get in Touch
Call: (951) 571-6275
Text: (951) 233-3719
Find us: Welcome Center, Room 173
Get involved with ACES!
The mission of the TRIO Academic Counseling and Educational Support program (ACES) at Moreno Valley College is a student support service designed to promote the retention, graduation, and transfer of low income, first generation and students with disabilities through a variety of academic support services.
- College students enrolled at Moreno Valley College as home college
- Income qualifying, potentially first generation backgrounds with demonstrated academic need for program services
- Enrolled full time and planning to complete a degree and transfer to a four year program
- United States Citizen or Legal Residency
Academic Counseling and Educational Support program participants are admitted based on a 3 step process: Application - Interview - Orientation.
- Application: Students can download an application or pick up an application from the ACES office in the Humanities Building, room 227.
- A recent signed copy of your parent/guardian's 1040 tax forms or tax transcript if you are a dependent.
- A copy of your 1040 tax form or tax transcripts if you are independent.
- A FAFSA summary/Student Aid Report available at www.fafsa.gov. It must show income. If information as been transferred from the IRS, we will need a copy of your taxes.
- If you do not file taxes, you may submit a copy of a Benefits Awards letter from any government aid programs, such as Cash Aid, Social Security, etc.
- An Income Affidavit.
- Submit a completed application with income verification. Acceptable documents are:
- Ineligible applicants will be notified via e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be able to be processed.
- ACES Counselor Appointment: All eligible students will be contacted via e-mail to schedule an appointment to meet with an ACES counselor to review educational goals and review important program information. The meeting will last no more than 30 minutes.
- Orientation: Those students who are offered admission are required to attend an orientation. Students who do not complete this orientation will have their admission offer rescinded. Upon completion of the orientation students will be placed on probationary status for a period of 1 semester. Orientation is required. Students will be notified of the orientation date two weeks in advance.
- United States citizen or meets the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance
- Income Qualifying (view income guidelines), AND/OR
- First Generation (parent(s) or guardian(s) has not earned a bachelor's degree), OR
- Disabled (documented by MVC DSS or private physician)
- Academic Need (can be fulfilled by a variety of criteria)
- Students must have Moreno Valley College (MVC) listed as their home campus
- Student educational goal must lead to completion of a Certificate or Associate degree at Moreno Valley College and transfer to a 4 year university.
- Continuing students
- must be in good standing at time of application
- must demonstrate a history of at least part-time enrollment
- cannot exceed a total of 30 cumulative completed units at time of application (if over 30 units have been earned by the time of application, meet with the program director regarding extenuating circumstances)
- cannot have already earned an Associate or Bachelor's degree at the time of application
- First time students must be enrolled in classes for the semester for which they are applying.
- Individualized Academic Advising
- Extended Hours of Tutorial Services
- Academic Success and Student Development Workshops
- Priority Registration
- College and Career Exploration
- Economic/Financial Literacy
- Assistance Completing Financial Aid and Scholarship Applications
- Professional Networking Opportunities
- Strategies for Strengthening Study Skills
- Assistance with Transfer to 4 year University
- Field Experiences to 4 year Colleges/Universities, Educational Opportunities, and Professional Sites
- Affiliation with National TRiO Network
- Full time enrollment
- Commit to achieve a 2.5 GPA or better
- Fall & spring progress report
- Complete FAFSA every year
- Complete Financial Literacy
- Attend two academic advising sessions per semester
- Participate in two educational/cultural activities per semester
- Attend tutoring as needed
- Inform Counselor of schedule changes (i.e. dropping courses)
ACES Academic Counseling
Stay on track academically by meeting regularly with your ACES counselors. You can connect with your counselors in-person or online by making an appointment. ACES students must attend two academic advising appointments per semester.
ACES Office Hours
Monday: 9 am - 6 pm
Tuesday: 9 am - 6 pm
Wednesday: 9 am - 6 pm
Thursday: 9 am - 6 pm
Friday: 9 am - 3 pm
Meet Your Counselor
ACES Connection Hours
- Thursday: 4 - 8 pm (Deanna)
- Friday: 9:30 am - Noon (Deanna)
Meet the Director
Want to meet with the TRIO Director? Stop by Science and Technology, Room 108, text (951) 233-3719, email or make an appointment through ConexEd.
Over 90% of ACES Scholars are in good academic standing.
MVC's Student Support Services program was re-funded a $1.265 million grant over five years to serve a cohort of 144 students annually.
Travel and Exploration
The ACES program is sponsored by Moreno Valley College and is 100% federally funded through the US Department of Education and TRiO.