Adjusted CalWORKs Office Hours, October 4 and 11
- October 4: 8 am - 3:30 pm
- October 11: 8 - 11 am
CalWORKs can help you succeed in college and life
CalWORKs services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the County Welfare to Work (WTW) program. If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
Visit our physical or virtual office for application, registration, attendance and WTW coordination assistance.
Call: (951) 571-6154
Office: Humanities Building Second Floor, Room 223A
Virtual: If you can't make it onto campus, we look forward serving you online via Zoom.
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 am - 4:30 pm. Friday, 8 am - Noon.
The CalWORKs Student Voices scholarship application is available! You could be the lucky recipient of $1,000 for sharing your inspiring story. This scholarship is for enrolled CalWORKs students.
- Deadline: Friday, December 15
- Application: Apply using the online form
How do I apply?
- Identify an affinity group to share your story in 350 words or less.
- Select a picture of yourself or your family to share with your story. Avoid photos with Instagram or Snapchat filters and choose a single picture, not a collage. Name your photo like this: 9.MVC.FirstName.LastName.jpg. Upload to the application form.
- Electronically sign and download a release form to publish your story and share your picture. You are still required to submit a release form to publish your story even if you opt not to include a photo. Once signed, download the release and upload it to the application form. It should be named as follows: 9.MVC.FirstName.LastName.pdf.
If you need assistance with any part of this process, reach out to the CalWORKs office.
Want to know what's new in CalWORKs? Interested in resources through our office, at MVC or the surrounding community? Want to stay on top of upcoming events? Check out our helpful semester newsletter. From laptop loans to legal aid, we've put together useful information to make your college experience even better.
Eligible CalWORKs students may receive transportation assistance in the form of a $25 Arco gas card for the following:
- Attend workshops (maximum 3 for workshops per semester and 1 per month for attending a student parent group meeting that month)
- Submit a copy of your employment paystub/volunteer program (once per semester)
- Portraits of Success Application/Submission (once per year)
- Submit a copy of an acceptance letter to a university or vocational program
- Complete an exit form once you leave Moreno Valley College CalWORKs
Eligibility requirements include: current proof of cash aid (dated for the first month of the current term or later), currently enrolled in at least 1 unit at MVC, and have a verified unmet financial need.
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
Services Offered by CalWORKs
- Financial aid, academic, personal, and career counseling
- Official college student educational plans (SEP)
- Financial Aid and Welfare to Work approved SEP
- Priority registration
- Book loan
- Computer lab with internet/printing capability
- Direct referrals to EOPS/CARE
- Work study and job placement
- Career pathway planning and linkages to labor market
- Intensive case management
- Educational and occupational assessments
- Assistance with meeting the 20/35 hours of work to meet County compliance requirements
- Coordination and advocacy on- and off-campus
- Referrals to campus and community resources
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
- Provide a current Welfare to Work (WTW) contract
- Maintain enrollment in 1.0 or more units each semester
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Maintain eligibility for the CalWORKs program
- Receive CalWORKs (cash aid) through a county Welfare department in California
- Attend monthly career related workshops
We have limited services available to post-employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last two years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
Services are available for current and former foster youth through the NextUp Guardian Scholars program.
Eligible CalWORKs students will receive a $25 Arco Gas Card for attending a workshop (must attend the entire workshop). Eligibility requirements are: Current proof of cash aid, currently enrolled in at least 1 unit at MVC, have an unmet financial need. Gas Cards forms and/or Gas Cards will be distributed in the CalWORKs office on campus. Please inquire with Nicole LeDuff via email.
Whether you need assistance in-person or online, the CalWORKs team is here to help you reach your educational and career goals. Stop by our office or log into our virtual zoom office during our regular hours, or get in touch with us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone at (951) 571-6154.