Office closure on June 1, 8 am - 1:30 pm
Become the best you can be
Part of MVC Extended Opportunity Programs & Services
The Guardian Scholars Program is committed to supporting current and former foster youth exiting the foster care system. Our goal is to serve as a resource for young scholars by assisting in their development and equipping them with the educational and interpersonal skills necessary to become self-supporting, community leaders, role models, and competent professionals in their selected fields.
Join Guardian Scholars Counseling and Advising Important Dates (pdf)
Navigate Enrollment Services
- College application assistance
- Help with moving through the orientation and counseling process
- FAFSA and Chafee Grant applications assistance
- Priority registration
- Financial help: textbooks, supplies, and services related to transportation, housing or food
- Personalized academic counseling and advising
- Course selection and development of a Student Educational Plan
- Personalized Student Success Coach assistance
- Tutorial services
- Student success workshops
- Referrals to Counseling Services and Student Health & Psychological Services
- University tours and cultural field trips
- Peer mentoring
- Annual Foster Care Awareness Event: Voices and Visions
- Be a current or prospective MVC student.
- Be a current or former foster youth.
- Contact Guardian Scholars/EOPS to start your eligibility verification and intake process.
- Submit Dependency Verification Letter (also known as Ward of Court letter). This letter can be obtained from your county's child welfare agency, your former social worker, or the Independent Living Program (ILP). Submit a copy to Sylvia Livingston in the Student Services Building, Room 303.
We're Part of EOPS
Guardian Scholars services are provided by MVC Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS). While enrollment in EOPS is not required, if you qualify for Guardian Scholars, you may be eligible for additional educational and financial support services through EOPS and NextUp. Your student success coach will let you know your eligibility.
Join Guardian Scholars
To receive more information and to join our program, call or email us to get started. Verification of eligibility is required. Your Guardian Scholars team will guide you through the intake process.
- Call: (951) 571-6110
- Visit: Student Services, Room 303
- Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 am - 4 pm and Friday, 8 am - Noon
Koko Randolph, EOPS Specialist
Lucy Razo, Counselor
Counseling and Orientation
Heather Bayse, Counselor
Counseling and Orientation
Sylvia Livingston, Student Success Coach
Application and Intake
Please visit the following links for additional resources and information:
- The Chafee Grant is an educational grant specifically for former foster youth attending college.
- View Resources and Planning Materials for Success in College.
- California Youth Connection is a youth led organization that seeks to transform the foster care system through legislative and policy change.
- NextUP offers foster youth opportunities and resources at California Community Colleges. At MVC, this is a supplementary EOPS program and requires enrollment in EOPS.