Back to Top
My Portal  |   Canvas  |   Distance Education  |   A - Z Index  |   Directory  |   People   Disability Accommodation Resources

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two bills, Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly Bill 131 (AB 131). Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 law (see below) to apply for and receive private scholarships funneled through public universities (AB 130), state-administered financial aid, university grants, and community college fee waivers (AB 131). For more information on the Dream Act, go to or see "Steps to Apply for the Dream Act" below.


AB 540 (California Non-resident Tuition Exemption)

CA Student Aid Commission

Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
  • Students who are non-immigrants [for example, those who hold F (student) visas, J or B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption.
  • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law.
  • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
  • Non-resident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be "non-resident".

Download Download and print the non-resident waiver (AB540) form

* Note: the non-resident waiver form is submitted to the Admissions and Records office.


Steps to Apply for the Dream Act

  • Complete the California Dream Act Application at and add Moreno Valley College to your application. Moreno Valley College school code is 041735
  • Two weeks after you have submitted your California Dream Act Application, the Student Financial Services office will review your application for the College Promise Grant (CCPG) eligibility
  • If there are any errors or missing information regarding your application you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the process on making corrections
  • Once your file is processed, and eligibility for The College Promise Grant (CCPG) is determined, you will then receive a revised Financial Aid Award notification via your student email account as well as posted through Web-Advisor
  • Financial Aid Awards can be viewed on your WebAdvisor:
    • Click on the WebAdvisor link
    • Click on the log in tab
    • Enter your user name and password, select submit
    • Choose students menu and go to Financial Aid Award Letter
  • If you need to make corrections to your Dream Act Application, please log onto your Dream Application at and choose to "Retrieve Current Application" or "Provide Signature" on the main page to make your required corrections
  • Once the Student Financial Services office receives your corrected Dream Application (approx. 1-2 weeks), your College Promise Grant (CCPG) will be awarded if eligible
  • If applying for College Promise Grant (CCPG) for please complete the 2015/2016 California Dream Act Application at


Important Note: College Promise Grant (CCPG) waives enrollment fees only. It does not pay for books, other educational supplies, the student service fee, health fee, or additional class fees.