Become a Firefighter
Moreno Valley College's Basic Firefighter Academy is a 16-week program that provides students with a basic knowledge of fire service operations and to provide them with the entry-level skills required by most fire departments. This academy is accredited through the California State Fire Marshal's office. Students will be eligible to receive their State of California Firefighter I certificate, and all college credits earned can be put toward an associate degree.
Application for Spring 2023 Closed
Before You Apply
Applications are accepted online twice a year only. Applying outside of these periods is not possible. Your application is not retained from year to year, so you must reapply if you did not qualify prior.
- Spring academy applications are accepted November 1 - 30.
- Fall academy applications are accepted May 1 - 31.
- Be at least 18 years old
- FIT-1 (or equivalent)
- California State EMT Card or current NREMT card
- Physical Agility Test (CPAT or Biddle)
- Complete a physical/medical exam prior to starting the FIT-S3A course
- Complete FIT-S3A Intro to Fire Academy & Physical Conditioning for Fire Academy
Let the Riverside County Workforce Development Center's team of experienced personnel guide you along the path to finding your new career. RivCo's Workforce Development Center can assist qualified Moreno Valley residents with tuition and other expenses such as uniforms and books. That's right, they'll sponsor you!
To become a sponsored learner, call to apply at (951) 791-3504 or email Lelay.Galloway@rivco.org.
Academy Degree and Certificate Rewards
Students can put the college units earned in the Fire Academy toward any associate degree. An associate degree is rewarded upon completion of general education requirements for a minimum of 60 college units.
Upon completion of the Fire Academy program, students will receive certificates for topics in fire control, incident command systems, safety and survival, rescue and more. A full list is as follows:
- Fire Control 3, 4
- IFSAC/Pro Board Firefighter 1A, 1B, 1C
- Complete Firefighter 2A testing
- NWCG S-130, L-180, S-190
- FEMA IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-800
- Firefighter Safety and Survival
- Wildland Firefighter Safety and Survival — Level 1
- Low Angle Rope Rescue
- Vehicle Extrication
- Rapid Intervention Crew Tactics
- Confined Space Awareness
- C-212 Basic Chainsaw Safety Awareness — Classroom Portion
- Behavioral Health & Cancer Awareness 1A