Learn to provide excellent dental patient care
Dental assistants are the core supporters of a dental office. Students that enroll in MVC's Dental Assistant program learn how to provide patient care services including helping dentists during dental procedures, taking x-rays, sterilizing equipment, scheduling appointments, taking dental impressions, and more.
Programs of Study
Associate of Science (MAS), Certificate (MCE)
The program prepares individuals to provide patient care, take dental radiographs (x-rays), prepare patients and equipment for dental procedures as well as discharge office administrative functions under the supervision of dentists. The curriculum includes instructions in dental office management tasks, general office duties, reception and patient intake, patient scheduling, equipment maintenance and sterilization, dental radiography and radiation safety, pre and post-operative patient care and instructions, chair-side assisting and direct patient care in general and specialty practice, taking impressions, infection control, Dental Practice Act, pit and fissure sealant application, coronal polish and supervised clinical practice.
More Ways to Learn
Why become a dental assistant?
What You'll Learn
- How to collect diagnostic data and perform clinical supportive treatments as outlined by the State Dental Practice Act.
- How to perform business office procedures as related to dental practices.
- How to adhere to the ADAA’s Code of Ethical Conduct and apply this to established ethical, legal and regulatory concepts for dental assisting.
- How to apply self-assessment skills to promote life-long learning.
- How to demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with diverse population.
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Lab Technician
- Community Dental Health Coordinator
- Dental Consultant
- Dental Product Developer