Gain digital literacy skills
Modern offices are technology-first. A degree in computer applications means you're prepared to perform in office and administrative settings. At MVC, you'll learn how to utilize computers and technology to increase efficiency, communication and organization in a business environment using industry-standard software and hardware.
Programs of Study
Associate of Science and Certificate
This program prepares individuals to perform basic data and text entry using standard and customized software products. This includes instruction in keyboarding skills, personal computer and work station operation, reading draft texts and raw data forms, and various interactive software programs used for tasks such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and others.
21 - 27.5 Units
More Ways to Learn
Why study computer applications?
Most careers require workers to be competent with computer applications. You'll be prepared to function in an office environment, whether you're preparing presentations or reports, managing a budget or schedule, or responsible for updating an organization's website. Plus, studies in computer applications studies translate well to business administration, computer science, and more.
What You'll Learn
- How to describe and use operating system and word processing software, graphics software for manipulating digital images and database software for constructing 3NF databases.
- How to write structured programs using C++ or Java.
- How to construct a visually appealing web site including database structures within the design.
- How to design and use spreadsheets that have embedded equations/formulas utilizing different data types.
- Office manager
- Web content administrator
- Computer programmer
- Business analyst
- Administrative assistant
- Data entry specialist
- Customer service representative