Important Updates for Umoja Students
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou
Dear UMOJA Community at MVC,
Health officials in Riverside and surrounding counties have issued clear "stay at home" or "shelter in place" instructions, impacting our ability to maintain in-person services to our students. In-person instruction at all Riverside Community College District schools has been moved to an online format and the campus is closed to students. However, we are committed to the support of the UMOJA students of MVC.
In alignment with the Umoja practice of being "Intentional and Deliberate" we encourage you to make an appointment with any Umoja Counselor if you are experiencing anxiety about taking an online class; passing all of your classes with a "C" grade; uncertain about whether; or not you are ready to transfer; uncertain about your major; you don't have an Educational plan or you just need to talk. No matter what your needs are, the Umoja team of professionals stands ready to serve you!
Here are ways the UMOJA office will continue to provide services to our students:
- Complete your UMOJA Community at MVC application online
- Connect with the UMOJA Team via Zoom. Make an appointment online.
- Gertrude Lopez, Counselor and Coordinator
- Latonya Parker, Ed., Counselor
- Nikki Thurston, Counselor
- Dr. Donna Colondres, Counselor
- Abreesha Jones, Counselor
- Ianshawn Smith, Counselor
- Peggie Negrete, Student Success Coach
Log in to Canvas
Log in to Canvas to access your enrolled spring 2020 courses that are now being held online, or visit the Student Resources webpage for information on how to navigate Canvas and use the various tools.
Tutorial Services for Umoja Students
If you are in immediate need of tutoring, please contact one of the Umoja tutors to schedule your appointment. If you need a tutoring appointment the best way to contact us is by calling and leaving a voicemail at the provided phone numbers. When you leave a voicemail, please include your name, student ID number, subject you need tutoring in, the time in which you would like to be tutored, and the best way to contact you.
- Connie Cardoza: (951) 282-7797 or email UmojaProgram@mvc.edu
- Availability: Monday: 10 am - 8 pm, Tuesday and Thursday: 11 am - 8 pm, Wednesday: 3 - 8 pm, Friday: 12 - 5 pm
- Subjects: PSYCH 1, 9, 50. SPANISH 1, 2. MATH 12, 35. HIS 6, 7. ENG 1A, 1B. ADJ 1, 3, 4, 5. BIO 1. ART 6.
- Pearl De La Cruz: (951) 297-7876 or email UmojaProgram@mvc.edu
- Availability: Monday: 12 - 4 pm, Wednesday: 12 - 2 pm, Friday: 12 - 5 pm
- Subjects: CIS 1A, 1B. PSY 1. SOC 1. Any MDA. CAT 50. ANT 1. BIO 45 (AMY 10). AMY 1. HUM 10. PHY 10. CMI 61. 71.
Although the Center is physically closed, we are still committed to offering you services.
Contact the Moreno Valley College Umoja Office via Zoom, or by email, at UmojaProgram@mvc.edu, or call (951) 571-6446 and leave a message with the following information: name student ID number, and telephone number with area code. We will respond to your message within one business day.
Please email us below for any immediate assistance at:
Zoom appointments may be scheduled during available hours:
Include your full name, student ID number, and telephone number with area code in your message.
- Online Resources and Student Services
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Food Pantry and Meal Assistance
- Laptop Loans
- Affordable Internet Service