Foster Youth Support Services
NEXTUp/Guardian Scholars Virtual Office - Online Services to Students
In response to the COVID-19, EOPS*NextUP Guardian Scholars office hours are suspended and all services will be provided to you in an online/virtual format.
To schedule an online Zoom counseling or student success appointment, book an appointment online.
To reach someone by phone, call or text (951) 217-9302 Monday - Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm. To reach staff via email, send a message to NextUpGS@mvc.edu.
Guardian Scholars Program
Moreno Valley College Guardian Scholars Program is committed to supporting current and former foster youth exiting the foster care system. Our goal is to serve as a resource for young scholars by assisting in their development and equipping them with the educational and interpersonal skills necessary to become self-supporting, community leaders, role models, and competent professionals in their selected fields.
We strive to provide a comprehensive program that collaborates with on-campus and off-campus networks to provide support and services to help ensure your academic success. You will have a designated Counselor and Student Success Coach assisting you throughout your educational journey here at MVC. This approach contributes to the quality, depth and success of the student's positive college experience.
Guardian Scholars assists students with navigating and getting the most out of college.
- Navigate Enrollment Services
- College application assistance
- Help with moving through the orientation and counseling process
- FAFSA and Chafee Grant applications assistance
- Priority registration
- Financial help: textbooks, supplies, and services related to transportation, housing or food
- Educational Planning
- Personalized academic counseling and advising
- Course selection and development of a Student Educational Plan
- Personalized Student Success Coach assistance
- Tutorial services
- Student success workshops
- Referrals to Counseling Services and Student Health & Psychological Services
- Student Engagement
- University tours and cultural field trips
- Peer mentoring
- Annual Foster Care Awareness Event: Voices and Visions
- Be a current or former foster youth
- Submit Guardian Scholars Applicationpdf
- Be a current or prospective MVC student
- Submit Dependency Verification Letter (also known as Ward of Court letter). This letter can be obtained from your county's child welfare agency, your former social worker, or the Independent Living Program (ILP)). Please turn in a copy of your Dependency Verification Letter to Sylvia Livingston in the Parkside Complex, Room 17.
If you qualify for Guardian Scholars, you may be eligible for additional educational and financial support services through Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)/NextUp. Your student success coach will let you know your eligibility. Learn more information on the EOPS page.
Select a gallery to start a slideshow.
Please visit the following links for additional resources and information:
- The Chafee Grant is an educational grant specifically for former foster youth attending college
- Resources and Planning Materials for Success in College
- California Youth Connection is a youth led organization that seeks to transform the foster care system through legislative and policy change
- NextUP offers foster youth opportunities and resources at California Community Colleges
To receive more information and to join our program, please contact:
Lucy Razo, Counselor
Sylvia Livingston, Student Success Coach
Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 4 pm