The CalWORKs office is open this fall!
We invite you to visit our physical and virtual offices! Get your application, registration, attendance and GAIN coordination questions answered. In-person visits to HM 223A require you to follow campus vaccine and mask mandates. We also look forward serving you online via Zoom.
Physical and Virtual Office Hours
Monday: 11 am - 3 pm; Tuesday: 9 am - 1:30 pm; Wednesday: 9 am - 3 pm; Thursday - Friday: 9 am - 1:30 pm.
Click to join our Zoom office or call (669) 900-6833 and input 950 6516 8618 as the meeting ID.
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence." Unknown
CalWORKs will help you achieve self-sufficiency through employment and education. CalWORKs support services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the county GAIN program.
If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
Apply to the CalWORKs Program
To apply for the CalWORKS program, complete the application pdf and return by email to email@example.com. Please include current Proof of Cash Aid and your current class schedule in the email to complete your CalWORKS application.
Access CalWORKs Services Online
The MVC CalWORKS office is available to help you in-person or online. To stay in touch with us, check your student email and the CalWORKS website regularly.
You may contact us by phone and leave a voicemail at (951) 571-6154 or leave us an email.
Fill out the necessary forms and prepare a digital copy of your class schedule. Attach the class schedule document along with the completed forms from our website and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your attendance forms will then be sent via email to your GAIN office.
Online courses are academically equivalent to on-campus courses and require the same number of hours in attendance per week. If you need a completed Online Study Form form, email email@example.com. Include your full name and student ID number.
How to print your class schedule:*
- Open your schedule in WebAdvisor
- Go to Print option
- Change to PDF and Save a Copy
- Click Print
*Do not add this document as a photo pasted inside of your email. We are unable to obtain your document this way.
A CalWORKS counselor is available for individual counseling appointments (scheduled and drop-in appointments) during normal business hours or evening hours by appointment. Counseling appointments may be done via phone or Zoom, a free Video/Audio conferencing application. To prepare, make sure Zoom is installed on your computer prior to your appointment.
You may request an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving a voicemail on our office number (951) 571-6154. Please include your full name and student ID number on emails or voicemail messages.
You must sign-up for all workshops. Email email@example.com, visit our CalWORKs Live office, or leave a voicemail at (951) 571-6154. Include your Name, Student ID, and Name of Workshop. The Zoom link will be provided upon registration.
|Surviving The Holidays|
12:50 - 1:50 pm
Zoom link will be provided when registering.
This workshop will be hosted by Credit.org. Learn to prepare for costs associated with the holidays, manage your holiday spending, and begin your New Year without holiday debt. All MVC Students are welcome to attend!
Gas Cards for Workshop Attendance: Eligible CalWORKs students will receive a $25 Arco Gas Card for attending a workshop (must attend the entire workshop). Eligibility requirements are: Current proof of cash aid, currently enrolled in at least 1 unit at MVC, have an unmet financial need. Gas Cards forms and/or Gas Cards will be distributed in the CalWORKs office on campus. Please inquire with Nicole LeDuff via email.
Important CalWORKs Information
Services Offered by CalWORKs
- Financial aid, academic, personal, and career counseling
- Official college student educational plans (SEP)
- Financial Aid and GAIN approved SEP
- Priority registration
- Book loan
- Computer lab with internet/printing capability
- Direct referrals to EOPS/CARE
- Work study and job placement
- Career pathway planning and linkages to labor market
- Intensive case management
- Educational and occupational assessments
- Assistance with meeting the 20/35 hours of work to meet County compliance requirements
- Coordination and advocacy on- and off-campus
- Referrals to campus and community resources
CalWORKs Work Study
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
- Provide a current Welfare to Work (WTW) GAIN contract
- Maintain enrollment in 1.0 or more units each semester
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Maintain eligibility for the CalWORKs program
- Receive CalWORKs (cash aid) through a county Welfare department in California
- Attend monthly career related workshops
Current Proof of Cash Aid
CalWORKs students must provide valid proof that YOU receive cash aid FOR YOURSELF each semester to receive: Attendance Verification, Student Educational Plans (SEP), Priority Registration, Referrals to Work Study, Assistance with Books, Counseling Appointments and all other services.
- The following are examples of valid (acceptable) documentation:
- Welfare to work Plan (GAIN contract)
- Letter from GAIN worker
- Notice of Action (NOA) stating your name and the type of aid received (CalWORKs Student, Cash Aid/Medical)
- Passport to Services
NOTE: Proof of Cash Aid must be submitted each semester and must be dated or stamped with the County timestamp within the semester you are verifying.
Services for Post-Employment Students
We have limited services available to post-employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last two years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
Services for Current and Former Foster Youth
MVC has expanded services to Current & Former Foster Youth. Please visit the Guardian Scholars Foster Youth program page to learn more.
Humanities Building, Second Floor, Room 223A
Leave a voicemail: (951) 571-6154
Office hours reflect availability of the physical and virtual CalWORKs office. Please follow campus vaccine and mask requirements if visiting.
Monday: 11 am - 3 pm
Online Resources for Students
- Raise Your GPA
- @LIKE Linking Innovation Knowledge Employment: Need help getting your HS diploma, GED, job?
- CalWorks Vehicle Policypdf
- EBT Surcharge-Free ATMspdf
- Riverside University Health Systems – Behavioral Health Prevention and Early Intervention Virtual Services during COVIDpdf
- Time Management for Studentspdf
- Secured Credit Cards: Low Credit and No Credit Finance Options
- Student Credit Cards: The Best Cards and How to Handle Them Responsibly
Learn about CalWORKs student opportunities!
- Black History Month - Spring 2015pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2014pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2012pdf