New! Virtual CalWORKs Office
We miss you! The CalWORKS/Workforce Preparation office is live on Zoom waiting to help you answer your questions regarding application, registration, attendance and other GAIN coordination. We can help you figure out anything you have going on at the college. When you need to talk to someone, join us on Zoom by computer or phone. We are here to help.
Hours: Monday 11 am - 4 pm and Tuesday - Friday 8:30 am - 4 pm.
Click to join or call (669) 900-6833 and input 950 6516 8618 as the meeting ID.
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence." Unknown
CalWORKs will help you achieve self-sufficiency through employment and education. CalWORKs support services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the county GAIN program.
If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
Apply to the CalWORKs Program
To apply for the CalWORKS program, complete the application pdf and return by email to email@example.com. Please include current Proof of Cash Aid and your current class schedule in the email to complete your CalWORKS application.
Access CalWORKs Services Online
Moreno Valley College has suspended most face-to-face instruction following the Riverside County Public Health officials order to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Lectures are held in an online format. Select labs are be held in-person with strict social distancing requirements.
While the physical MVC CalWORKS office is closed, we are available to assist you online. Please note the following procedures, which are subject to change, and check your student email and the CalWORKS website regularly.
You may contact us by phone and leave a voicemail at (951) 571-6154 or leave us an email.
Fill out the necessary forms and prepare a digital copy of your class schedule. Attach the class schedule document along with the completed forms from our website and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your attendance forms will then be sent via email to your GAIN office.
Online courses are academically equivalent to on-campus courses and require the same number of hours in attendance per week. If you need a completed Online Study Form form, email email@example.com. Include your full name and student ID number.
How to print your class schedule:*
- Open your schedule in WebAdvisor
- Go to Print option
- Change to PDF and Save a Copy
- Click Print
*Do not add this document as a photo pasted inside of your email. We are unable to obtain your document this way.
A CalWORKS counselor is available for individual counseling appointments (scheduled and drop-in appointments) during normal business hours or evening hours by appointment. Counseling appointments may be done via phone or Zoom, a free Video/Audio conferencing application. To prepare, make sure Zoom is installed on your computer prior to your appointment.
You may request an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving a voicemail on our office number (951) 571-6154. Please include your full name and student ID number on emails or voicemail messages.
CalWORKs workshops are open to ALL MVC students. Contact the CalWORKs office to reserve your spot or if you have questions.
Gas Cards Available for Attending Select Workshops: Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students with CURRENT proof of Cash Aid for Self and have a verified Unmet Financial Need may receive a $25 Gas Card for attending workshops hosted by the CalWORKs Program. Please inquire with the CalWORKs office about whether you or the workshop you are interested in qualifies.
No current CalWORKs workshops or events are planned.
See below for online workshops offered by our partners.
Important CalWORKs Information
Services Offered by CalWORKs
- Financial aid, academic, personal, and career counseling
- Official college student educational plans (SEP)
- Financial Aid and GAIN approved SEP
- Priority registration
- Book loan
- Computer lab with internet/printing capability
- Direct referrals to EOPS/CARE
- Work study and job placement
- Career pathway planning and linkages to labor market
- Intensive case management
- Educational and occupational assessments
- Assistance with meeting the 20/35 hours of work to meet County compliance requirements
- Coordination and advocacy on- and off-campus
- Referrals to campus and community resources
CalWORKs Work Study
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
- Provide a current Welfare to Work (WTW) GAIN contract
- Maintain enrollment in 1.0 or more units each semester
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Maintain eligibility for the CalWORKs program
- Receive CalWORKs (cash aid) through a county Welfare department in California
- Attend monthly career related workshops
Current Proof of Cash Aid
CalWORKs students must provide valid proof that YOU receive cash aid FOR YOURSELF each semester to receive: Attendance Verification, Student Educational Plans (SEP), Priority Registration, Referrals to Work Study, Assistance with Books, Counseling Appointments and all other services.
- The following are examples of valid (acceptable) documentation:
- Welfare to work Plan (GAIN contract)
- Letter from GAIN worker
- Notice of Action (NOA) stating your name and the type of aid received (CalWORKs Student, Cash Aid/Medical)
- Passport to Services
NOTE: Proof of Cash Aid must be submitted each semester and must be dated or stamped with the County timestamp within the semester you are verifying.
Services for Post-Employment Students
We have limited services available to post-employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last two years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
Services for Current and Former Foster Youth
MVC has expanded services to Current & Former Foster Youth. Please visit the Guardian Scholars Foster Youth program page to learn more.
Please contact the CalWORKs program via email or leave a voicemail at this time.
Leave a voicemail at (951) 571-6154
Monday: 11 am - 4 pm
Contact CalWORKs Staff:
- Online Resources for Students
- Online Resources and Student Services
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Food Pantry and Meal Assistance
- Laptop Loans
- Affordable Internet Service
- Regional and Resources
- Raise Your GPA
- @LIKE Linking Innovation Knowledge Employment: Need help getting your HS diploma, GED, job?
- CalWorks Vehicle Policypdf
- EBT Surcharge-Free ATMspdf
- Riverside University Health Systems – Behavioral Health Prevention and Early Intervention Virtual Services during COVIDpdf
- Time Management for Studentspdf
- Secured Credit Cards: Low Credit and No Credit Finance Options
- Student Credit Cards: The Best Cards and How to Handle Them Responsibly
- Black History Month - Spring 2015pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2014pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2012pdf