Back to Top
A - Z Index  |   Canvas  |   Directory  |   Email  |   My Portal  |   People |    SSO     Disability Accommodation Resources
Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Notices and Information | Distance Ed/Online Classes Information

We understand you have questions. Please find detailed answers to frequently asked student questions along with information, resources and support to help you complete your classes and receive college services as easily as possible.


Select a Topic


Classes and Tech Support

Although we are doing all in our power to ensure that you have a positive experience as a student this semester, here are some quick tips that you may find useful getting started with online instruction and Canvas.

How long will classes be online?

  • Classes at Moreno Valley College and at other colleges in the Riverside Communtiy College District will be online for spring and summer 2021 term. During these terms, lecture courses are entirely online while some courses within disciplines requiring in-person labs are offered in hybrid format. For fall 2021, MVC will be making a coordinated effort to return to safe, in-person instruction. In-person classes observe strict social distancing and safety practices. The MVC Bookstore has limited hours and is open Monday - Thursday 8 am - 4 pm. For details about in-person class suspension, monitor your RCCD email and the COVID-19 website.


What is Canvas and how do I access my class online?

  • Canvas is a learning management system used to deliver your courses.
  • Online courses are accessed through Canvas. A computer (PC or MAC) is recommended as there could be issues trying to access courses via a mobile device. You are encouraged to check your RCCD email daily and regularly for updates, resources and student service updates as well as view Canvas Guides for Students to get started with your online classes.


How do I log in to Canvas?

  • Before logging into Canvas, be sure that your browser and system have met the requirements listed on the Canvas system requirements page.
  • Go to the Canvas login.
  • Your username is the same as your RCCD issued student email address. Examples for an RCCD student email address with the name of John Doe might be: or
  • New students using Canvas: your default Password is "newstudent" (all lowercase, no quotes).
    Returning students using Canvas: your Password has not changed from what you last used (it is also the same password you use to log into your RCCD student email).


How do I get technical support for my online classes or Canvas?

  • Once logged into Canvas, you will see a list of your classes on the Dashboard or Courses link. Be sure to also visit the Getting Started with Canvas page for more information, how to get help, tutorials and more!
  • Support and help from Canvas Support are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact Canvas Support toll free by calling (844) 603-4264.


How do I reset my password?

  • For information on resetting or changing your RCCD student email password, learn how to reset or change your password or contact the Admissions and Records office at (951) 571-6101. Once you have created your new password, please use that same new password for Canvas.


How do I get internet access?

  • Students can get no-cost, in-home internet for up to two months during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak if they qualify for certain low-income internet programs. WiFi hotspots will also be made available for public. If interested, please see the list of internet service providers for more information.


Where can I get a computer for use in MVC online courses?

  • Limited loans for laptops, chromebooks and iPads are available through the MVC Library. For information or to request if a laptop or mobile device is available for you to use, visit the Laptop Loan page.


How do I stay on top of deadlines and notices? What is GradGuru?

  • Grad Guru is Moreno Valley College's smartphone app that keeps you connected to everything happening at our college, including critical deadlines, tips and advice to help you to be more successful and to keep you on track to transfer and to graduate!
  • Visit the GradGuru page to load the app onto your phone and start qualifying for prizes.

⇑ Back to top



Online Academic and Services Support

How do I get access to support and services (e.g. counseling, tutoring, etc.)?

  • Most Moreno Valley College student services are available by phone, text and email. Visit the web page of your desired student service to discover their contact information, or call the District Hotline at (951) 222-8662. Messages left on the District Hotline will be routed to the appropriate college and department for a response within 24 hours.
  • Moreno Valley College's resources can be found on the online resources page.


Where can I go for online academic support like tutoring?

  • MVC students taking online classes have access to NetTutor, a comprehensive online tutoring service for all college courses. This service is available to you 24/7/365 to assist you with homework, writing papers, and studying. All NetTutor tutors are fully trained experts in the courses for which they tutor. Login to your class in Canvas to access online tutoring or view instructions on the NetTutor webpage.
  • Additional academic support is available through online services offered by the Learning Center.


What if I belong to a special program or service (e.g. Veterans, Disability Resources, EOPS, Foster, etc)?

  • You will be contacted directly by the program director or a staff member related to your program. Please check your RCCD email regularly.

⇑ Back to top



Registration, Counseling, and Financial Aid Support

Where do I go for help with course registration, fees, account information and Add/Drop support?

  • We are here for you! For additional support, please contact the Admissions and Records office at (951) 571-6101 (leave message for return call) or email along with a picture of your valid photo ID so that we can assist you in a timely manner. Students can also receive email resets, one-time passcodes, and WebAdvisor resets.


How can I speak to a counselor online?

  • We want to see you succeed. Counselors are available for you, every step of the way. If you are struggling with coursework or need to talk about your educational plan, please reach out to us!
  • Counseling services are offered through your school's engagement center. Appointments for counseling can be made online and all engagement centers offer limited drop-in hours. Appointments for specialized student support services counseling, unless an online appointment site is listed, should be made via email.


How can I complete New Student Orientation online?

  • Students needing to complete the online orientation can do so by visiting this link (This meets the orientation requirement for student matriculation): Launch MVC's Online Orientation.


How can new students find out their math and English placement?

  • If assessment scores are not showing on your student record, log into MyPortal and click Assessment/Placement Survey. This survey will take roughly 1 business day to update and will meet the assessment requirement for student matriculation. NOTE: Most students are automatically placed via the CCCApply Application.


How can I get other questions answered about assessment, orientation, and registration for new students?

  • Student Services Live! offers help with your registration and student services needs. Join members of the Admissions and Records, Assessment, and Financial Aid teams for assistance.
  • Additional support for student onboarding can be received from Assessment and Placement Services via the following email: OR by TEXT at (951) 472-2176 (this number is TEXT ONLY).


Where can I go to get questions answered about financial aid?

  • Most financial aid forms and tasks can be completed online. Else, you can send Student Financial Services (SFS) an email at or visit the online resources page.
  • With mobile financial aid, you're able to:
    • Complete financial aid forms on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
    • Securely upload documents from any device.
    • E-sign documents - both you and your parents!
    • Manage your financial aid tasks online.
    • Receive automated reminders about outstanding tasks and next steps.


What if I need to drop my classes?

  • Students who need to withdraw from one or all classes for any COVID-19 related reason including the shift to online coursework may e-mail that request to with the reason and a picture of one's student ID to be withdrawn. You may also call and leave a voicemail at (951) 571-6101. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with a counselor online before taking this action. Students should also contact Financial Aid or Veterans Services with any questions about financial implications of dropping classes.

⇑ Back to top



Personal Welfare and Mental Health Support

Where can I go to get access to no-cost food?


Where can I talk with someone about my mental health?


Are there other mental health services also available online?

  • These are trying times, and your overall health is important to us. MVC's Health Services is here to help. Our resources include crisis text and online messaging services, apps, and mental health/suicide prevention hotlines as well as guidelines on how to protect you and your loved ones from COVID-19.


Where can I go for help with homelessness?

  • Riverside County has a number of agencies that can help with housing insecure students. All referrals for the various housing programs are received through the County of Riverside Coordinated Entry System (CES), Home Connect program. Students who are homeless and in need of housing should call Home Connect at 1-800-498-8847. For more information about the County of Riverside's programs to support housing insecure people, visit the county's website.


What do I do if I am sick or believe I have COVID-19?

  • If you have medical questions, contact your health care provider or the Riverside County Health Department at (951) 358-5107 during normal business hours or the emergency line at (951) 782-2974. For questions regarding coronavirus, call 211.
  • If you contract COVID-19, please follow the COVID-19 Self Reporting Procedures to ensure the students and employees you come into contact with continue to be safe.


How do I help prevent the spread of COVID-19?

  • The California Department of Public Health has identified a number of precautions:
    • Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
    • Cleaning your hands often with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
    • Avoiding touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing (or an elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available). Discard tissue and wash your hands.
    • Social distancing – stay isolated from others if you develop respiratory symptoms, a fever and a cough. Call your health care provider or local public health department first before seeking medical treatment.
    • Cover your nose and mouth with cloth or disposable face masks or other coverings when in public to reduce the chance of virus-carrying droplets from entering your notes, mouth or eyes.

⇑ Back to top



Fees and College Facilities

Will I have access to bathroom facilities/showers?

  • At this time, college facilities are unavailable.