Foster Youth Support Services
Guardian Scholars Program
Are you a current or former foster youth between the ages of 18-25? If so, read on to find out how Moreno Valley College is dedicated to your success.
The Guardian Scholars program at Moreno Valley College works in collaboration with Riverside City College and the University of California, Riverside in order to provide a network of supportive services to students from the foster care system. A designated MVC staff member assists students with applying to the college, registering for classes, accessing priority enrollment, making appropriate course selections, and connecting with campus and community based resources that will help ensure their academic success.
Select a section below to start a slideshow.
Services offered through the Guardian Scholars program include:
- Transfer Success Workshops
- Academic Advising
- Financial Assistance
- Connections to Tutoring
- Field Trips to Universities and Cultural Events
- Mentoring Opportunities
- ...and much more!
Did You Know...?
Foster Youth are eligible to receive priority registration at all California Community Colleges, as well as California State Universities.
To access priority registration at Moreno Valley College, you will need to turn in a copy of your Dependency Verification Letter to Chris Dech in the Science and Technology Building, Room 151A. This letter can be obtained from your county's child welfare agency, your former social worker, or the Independent Living Program (ILP)
If you need assistance in obtaining this letter, please contact us right away.
Please visit the following links for additional resources and information:
- The Chafee Grant is an educational grant specifically for former foster youth attending college
- See how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) increases your eligibility for health care benefits
- Resources and Planning Materials for Success in College
- California Youth Connection is a youth led organization that seeks to transform the foster care system through legislative and policy change
- Information on Extended Foster Care
To receive more information and to join our group, please contact:
Chris Dech, Educational Advisor
Science and Technology building
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 6 pm