CalWorks at MVC
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence." Unknown
CalWORKs will help you achieve self-sufficiency through employment and education. If you are a TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipient with minor children, and attending or planning to attend Moreno Valley College, you may be eligible to receive special support services.
MVC's CalWORKs support services include counseling, priority registration, job search and resume assistance, resource referrals, and intensive joint case management with the county GAIN program.
Please view the List Of Workshops for current information - this list is updated throughout the semester...workshop dates, times, and locations may change at any time.
We now have DVD videos available for viewing in our computer Lab:
»"Career Spotlight on Business" workshop
»"Interview Secrets" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Social Work" workshop
»"Career Spotlight on Nursing" workshop
Visit or contact our office for more information.
(Workshops are open to ALL MVC Students)
Please contact our office to sign up for workshops or if you have any questions.
|Stress Management: How to Beat Procrastination|
|October 16, 2018|
Hosted by Health Services
12:50 - 1:50 pm
Parkside Complex #14A
|This workshop will be hosted by Health Services and will discuss coping skills related to managing stress and procrastination. Contact Health Services at (951) 571-6103 or (951) 571-6147 for further information on Stress Management workshops.|
|Nurturing Parenting: Brain Development|
|October 24, 2018|
*Hosted by the County of Riverside
12:50 - 1:50 pm
|This workshop will be hosted by Parent Support and Training Program, County of Riverside, and will increase parents' knowledge of building self-worth in children.|
|Writing Your Scholarship Success Essay #2|
|October 25, 2018|
12:50 - 1:50 pm
|Join us for this four-part workshop! You will learn how to develop your scholarship essay from start to finish and apply for this year's fall scholarships. You may attend any or all of these workshops. Prior attendance is not required. This interactive workshop is offered in a computer lab, where you will have the opportunity to work on your essay during the workshop.|
|Lunch & Learn|
|October 11, 18, and 25, 2018
12:30 - 2 pm
Parkside Complex #14A
|Counselor/Coordinator Terrie Hawthorne will host a different topic on personal development, each week. This workshop requires a commitment of every Thursday (except the first Thursday of the month). Please contact our office to RSVP. Lunch will be provided.|
* Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students are eligible to receive a $25 gas card for transportation assistance for attending any workshops listed above. See gas card disclaimer below for terms and restrictions.
Gas Card Disclaimer:
Currently enrolled MVC CalWORKS students with CURRENT proof of cash aid for self and have a verified unmet financial need are eligible to receive a $25 gas card for transportation assistance for attending this workshop. Gas Cards are given to "eligible" students for attending workshops (must attend entire workshop). Students will be screened for eligibility prior to the workshop. "Eligible" students who signed up before the workshop (at least one day) may receive a Gas Card at the workshop. Otherwise, please allow one week after the workshop to receive your gas card. Please follow-up with Nicole LeDuff.
*You may receive up to three (3) Gas Cards per semester for workshop attendance. Workshop attendance records are kept in the CalWORKS office.
- CalWORKs students must provide valid proof that YOU receive cash aid FOR YOURSELF each semester to receive: Attendance Verification, Student Educational Plans (SEP's), Priority Registration, Referrals to Work Study, Assistance with Books, Counseling Appointments and all other services.
- We have limited services available to Post-Employment students, those students who stopped receiving cash aid within the last 2 years and are currently employed through unsubsidized employment. Proof of the date of termination or case closure and current employment are required. Proof of cash aid or post-employment is required before any services can be provided.
- The following are examples of valid (acceptable) documentation:
- Welfare to work Plan (GAIN contract)
- Letter from GAIN worker
- Notice of Action (NOA) stating your name and the type of aid received (CalWORKs Student, Cash Aid/Medical)
- Passport to Services
NOTE: Proof of Cash Aid must be submitted each semester and must be dated or stamped with the County timestamp within the semester you are verifying.
Current and Former Foster Youth
MVC has expanded services to Current & Former Foster Youth. Please visit the Foster Youth Support Services program page to learn more.
|SERVICES AVAILABLE||CALWORKS WORK STUDY|
Moreno Valley College teams up with employers to provide subsidized job training, for the CalWORKs work study program, to eligible students. This program benefits employers as well as students to be eligible students are required to:
To get started or if you have any questions, please contact us at:
Humanities Building, room 223A
Fall Office Hours:
We have a locked drop box outside our office door if you need to turn in documents when the office is closed.
NOTE: The CalWORKs office is open (on Mondays only) from 8:30 am to 4 pm the first week of winter and summer sessions, and the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters.
Abreesha Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) (951) 571-6154 Front Desk
Nicole LeDuff (email@example.com) (951) 571-6498
- Inland Empire Community Calendar 2016pdf
- Raise Your GPA
- @LIKE Linking Innovation Knowledge Employment - Need help getting your HS diploma, GED, job?
- CalWorks Vehicle Policypdf
- Career Vision: These workshops provide out-of-the-box, innovative, and imaginative ideas that turn the job search process from reactive to proactivepdf
- EBT Surcharge-Free ATMspdf
- GAIN Forms:
- Planning Your Schedule (blank) spreadsheetxlsx
- Time Management for Studentspdf
- Secured Credit Cards: Low Credit and No Credit Finance Options
- Student Credit Cards: The Best Cards and How to Handle Them Responsibly
- RCCD's Academic Calendar
- Black History Month - Spring 2015pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2014pdf
- Black History Month - Spring 2012pdf