Back to Top
My Portal  |   New Online/Hybrid Classes  |   A - Z Index  |   Directory  |   People   Disability Accommodation Resources

Who has to take the Test?

Generally everyone has to take the Assessment Test.

The only exceptions are students also attending a four year college, students with an AA/AS degree or higher, students taking less than five units with the education goal of personal development or advancing themselves in their current career or maintaining a certificate or license.

All matriculants (first-time college students) some returning students, some transferring students, applicants who are not high school graduates, and high school students who want to attend college while still in high school.


Are you a Matriculant?

Is this your first time ever in college? Then ask yyourself the following questions:

  • Do you plan to take 6 or more units?
  • Are you uncertain of your Educational Goal and your Program of Study (Major)?
  • Are you pursuing an AA/AS degree?
  • Are you pursuing a Certificate?
  • Do you plan to transfer to a 4-year college after completing 56 or more units at RCCD?

If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, you are a Matriculant. You will be required to complete the full English and Math Assessment test and follow this with an Orientation/Group Counseling appointment.

One-on-one appointments with a counselor are not available until after you have completed the Orientation/Group Counseling. However, feel free to visit Counseling for a walk-in session any time they are available. Keep in mind that you will still have to attend an Orientation\Group Counseling session.

Once Assessment and Orientation are completed, you are clear to enroll in courses at RCCD.


Returning Students

If you are returning to college after a period of absence, you may still have to re-assess in English or Math.

  • If you took an Assessment Test prior to July 1, 2001, that test is no longer valid.
  • If you have already taken an English or Math class with a satisfactory grade of 'C' or better, then you need not and cannot retake the test in that area.
  • If you did not take an English or Math class then you are free to enroll in any class that does not have an English or Math prerequisite.
  • If you want to take a class with an English or Math prerequisite, you must take the Assessment Test.

If you do take the test, please note it will take from 24 hours to two working days after completion of the test for your results to be updated on your student record.


Transferring Students

Some students transferring from another college will be required to assess in English and/or Math depending on various factors. Generally, if you are pursuing a degree or certificate at a Riverside Community College District campus, and if you have not taken any Math or English classes at your previous college, you will be required to take the Assessment Test.

If you have previous English or Math course work, these can be evaluated to establish whether they fulfill prerequisites to future coursework.

If you do take the test, please note it will take from 24 hours to two working days after completion of the test for your results to be updated on your student record.


Not a High School Graduate?

If you do not yet have a high school diploma or G.E.D. and you will be pursuing Federal Financial Aid, you must show what is called the "Ability to Benefit". You must take the entire Accuplacer test, must achieve certain minimum scores, and must finish the test in a single sitting. You can find more information about taking Accuplacer for Ability to Benefit on the "Which Test Do I Need?" section.


Concurrent Admissions Students

All Concurrent Admissions students (high school students taking college classes) must take the full Assessment Test before being accepted as a concurrently enrolled student. You have to take the test on certain days at certain times, and you must meet certain minimum placements.

NOTE: Are you a former Concurrent Admissions student who is now enrolling as a general student?

  • If you did not meet the minimum placements, you will need to retake the Assessment Test as a general student.
  • If you did meet the minimum placements but never enrolled in an English or Math class, you have your choice:
    • Ask the Assessment Center to upload your Concurrent Admissions test, or
    • Retake the test as a general student