Basic Skills Initiative (BSI)
The Basic Skills Initiative (BSI) was a grant funded initiative from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office (CCCCO) which began in 2006 as part of the strategic planning process. The goal of the BSI was to improving student access and success. The Strategic Plan guides California Community Colleges as they serve over 2.9 million students annually at 110 colleges. The BSI was a part of Strategic Plan Goal Area 2- Student Success and Readiness (http://strategicplan.cccco.edu). The project addressed credit and noncredit basic skills as well as adult education and programs designed to help underprepared students.
A two-pronged approach by BSI created an environment for unprecedented accomplishments in Basic Skills. One prong of this plan allocated colleges supplemental funding to specifically address basic skills needs. This funding was guided by locally developed action plans documenting usage of the funding. The outcomes of the BSI are tracked using the Accountability Report for Community Colleges (ARCC), specifically the ARCC Basic Skills report.
The other prong took the shape of a Professional Development Grant which was designed to address training needs for faculty and staff in basic skills, and English as a Second Language (ESL).
The Basic Skills Professional Development Grant provided statewide training and support to address the professional development needs of community college administrators, faculty, and staff in the areas of basic skills and ESL instruction in both credit and noncredit instruction.
Have questions or need more info? Contact us today!
The Moreno Valley College's BSI goals are to:
- Establish and develop comprehensive, ongoing, college-wide basic skills/ESL activities that promote success through pre-transfer level courses
- Provide extensive staff development opportunities to support services and instruction in basic skills/ESL and general effective teaching practices
- Implement an ongoing "culture of evidence" that validates and supports the basic skills/ESL program
- Develop and implement pre- and post- enrollment support activities for basic skills/ESL students.
Information about BSI:
- Basic Skills Completion: The Key to Student Success in California Community Collegespdf
- The Basic Skills Handbook-Constructing a Framework for Success: A Holistic Approach to Basic Skills
- 3CSN / California Community Colleges' Success Network
- Basic Skills Initiative Effective Practices Database (California Community Colleges System Office)
- BSI Action Plan (2014-15)pdf
- BSI Action Plan (2013-14)pdf
- Current BSI Projects
- Documents for 2013-14
- Documents for Previous Years
- One Book / One College: Project sponsored by BSI
- BSI's State Site
Moreno Valley College
16130 Lasselle Street
Moreno Valley, CA 92551
Ben Clark Training Center
16791 Davis Avenue
Riverside, CA 92518
16888 Bundy Avenue
Riverside, CA 92518